Service Desk Lead
The Service Desk Lead (SDL) administers the operations of computer systems related to operating systems, servers, and end-user workstations. Although the SDL is not responsible for writing new application software, the SDL demonstrates understanding of how software behaves in order to deploy, configure and troubleshoot systems. Additionally, the engineer researches innovative technologies and leverages optimization techniques to ensure that systems operate efficiently. The Service Desk Lead aids in the oversight and support of Service Desk functions and Audio/Visual conference room support. The SDL is familiar with Windows Server operating systems, however principle responsibilities are focused on end user computing technologies such as Windows 10, Microsoft Office 365 apps and services, conferencing technologies, mobile technologies, and workstation end point management tools designed to aid in software deployment, anti-virus, intrusion detection and standard configurations.
- Provide oversight and support of Service Desk program, to include: Incident Management, Request Fulfillment, Problem Management, End user equipment provision, and audio/visual conferencing support.
- Monitor Service Desk metrics (e.g. KPI, SLA, OLA, etc.) to evaluate and improve performance
- Produce and maintain technology process documentation such as Checklists, FAQ, Job Aids, Quick Guides and Work Processes.
- Act as a technical lead on projects specific to principal responsibilities.
- Build and maintain web, virtual, and client server environments for the enterprise.
- Maintain the operations of all virtual, web, and client systems to ensure availability.
- Leverage optimization techniques to maximize the efficiency of computer systems.
- Perform critical system maintenance to increase efficiency and throughput.
- Troubleshoot and resolve any IT service issues related to operating systems and servers.
- Support infrastructure team responsibilities to troubleshoot and resolve network related issues.
- Implement and maintain a IT Service Continuity documentation to assess, prioritize, and recover systems in the event of failure.
- Train technical support staff on solving common systems-related problems.
- Build and implement software standards for servers, operating systems, and end-user workstations.
- Work with third-party vendors and consultants on developing system-specific skills.
- Work closely with various Operations/Engineering teams to troubleshoot issues and ensure our customers satisfaction and the overall health of our various environments.
- Contribute systems expertise to organization’s teams working on future system directions and current challenges.
- Propose and implement system enhancements (software and hardware updates) that will improve the performance and reliability of the systems infrastructure.
- Provide input to capacity planning and scalability to ensure systems are optimized to handle our continuing growth.
- Coordinate and troubleshoot IT services including systems, network, telephony, Audio/Visual conferencing.
- Serve as an IT business partner for internal departments on administrative or technical matters, as well as assigned projects.
- Involved in hardware procurement, system planning, upgrading, monitoring, testing, troubleshooting and servicing.
- Uses skills as an experienced professional with a full understanding of industry practices and company policies and procedures.
- Resolves a wide range of issues in imaginative as well as practical ways.
- Demonstrates considerable judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- May serve as a Service Level Manager
- Support organization’s vendor contract responsibilities as documented and required
- Support and act in accordance with existing and to-be developed IT Service Management Policy and Process.
- Offsite IT support and travel during organization’s conference events.
- Support on-call escalations and shift work that fall outside of core business hours as required.
- Works with business partner to elicit high-level requirements and capture business needs.
- Clearly articulates and documents business requirements.
- Assesses the risks of various solutions and prioritizes competing business demands.
- Manages ongoing relationship with business partner to drive satisfaction with IT.
- Coordinates project delivery by participating in design reviews and walk-throughs to communicate systems designs and validate proposed solutions.
- Obtains key inputs from enterprise architecture teams and identifies solution interdependencies to include integration planning, dependency management and business process mapping.
- Engages with design team to incorporate usability and user interface needs when designing systems.
- Proactively resolves customer satisfaction issues.
- Negotiates contracts, manages relationships, and monitors vendor performance against SLAs.
- Supports testing by reviewing test plans and scripts for completeness and accuracy.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred.
- 5-8 years of experience in relevant Information Technology support functions.
- Technical supervision or leadership experience within a Service Desk organization
- ITIL v3 or 4 Foundation Certification or above
- Over 2 years of vendor management experience
- Experience with ServiceNow ITSM module strongly desired but not required
- Outstanding customer service, communication and documentation skills, as well as ability to interact and communicate with cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems quickly and skillfully.
- Strong logical and analytical thinker.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Able to find root causes of problems and quickly determine efficient solutions.
- Can anticipate risks and mitigate in the moment.
- Comfortable under high-stress and exhibits poise and focus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong experience with Windows system administration, including automated installation, shell scripting, maintenance, and monitoring.
- Experience with automating tasks and utilizing proper change management.
- Ability to document current requirements and enhance existing processes throughout our infrastructure.
- Experience with technical facilities environments (i.e. cooling, power infrastructure) as well as with facilities projects.
- Experience supporting relevant projects such as: Hardware refresh projects, software deployments or upgrade, Office moves, etc.
- Proficiency with relevant business systems, operating systems, and servers.
- Solid understanding of networking concepts (e.g. Systems, Protocols, Directory Services).
- Skilled in light programming, project management of initiatives, and troubleshooting.
- Ability to work as part of dynamic team whilst demonstrating flexibility, autonomy and a desire to make things happen.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.