IT Solutions Architect
The IT Solutions Architect is responsible for supporting EA activities that guide the developing direction for managing a portfolio of technical solutions and deliver effective installation, administration, maintenance, and troubleshooting, of a wide array of systems to include shared infrastructure and application services. Identifies and evaluates areas for improvement that drive achievement of targeted business outcomes. Is responsible for overseeing and implementing operational components of modernization as well as working with IT leadership and vendors to validate proposed architecture solutions.
The IT Solutions Architect, working with an external solutions implementation team will be tasked to establish, maintain, and drive the technical strategy and plan for achieving program delivery objectives and managing program/project integration points. Should monitor, manage, and work in collaboration with peers and technology vendors to achieve program/project objectives and ensure proper controls and oversight are provided.
An effective IT Solutions Architect will leverage IT solutions to enable our desired future-state business capabilities and delivery targeted business outcomes. Must have the ability to see big picture requirements and distill them into concrete tasks and execute independently in a timely fashion.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
• Provide expert consultation and support of full-lifecycle systems engineering; initially dedicated to our modernization efforts
• Provide enterprise systems design recommendations based on a thorough understanding of business drivers, business capabilities, and current/future technology solutions
• Provide technical leadership and advise on designs for application solutions, including design reviews, planning, and implementation
• Lead staff tasked with design and implementation of external solutions
• Identify and recommend design or configuration changes for a multi-account, multi-region, highly available and automated AWS infrastructure
• Monitor and evaluate the current-state IT systems portfolio to identify compliance issues, detect deficiencies, and make recommendations to improve the architecture and/or address misalignment with requirements
• Develop and adhere to technical standards, specifications, and best practices
• Understand and contribute to the creation of architectural and system design documents
• Ensure infrastructure and system design meets FISMA Moderate standards and achieves Authorize to Operate (ATO)
• Evaluate and aid in the selection of software, cloud services, configurations, and other IT technologies based on a developed roadmap
• Directly assist Infrastructure and Application Development workstreams to identify tools and infrastructure that best fit requirements and achieve business outcomes
• Identify and execute on opportunities to tune and optimize system performance
• Identify organizational and financial impacts of recommended technology solutions
• Lead and participate in technical discussions to aid system design, analysis, and troubleshooting
• Support full software development life cycle and production of mission-critical applications
• Attend and host meetings and provide support in the form of targeted agendas, meeting notes, communications, and follow-up delivery
• Maintain relevant and current professional knowledge via in-house training, online resources, attendance at professional events, and personal investment in continued education and certifications
• Monitor and analyze industry trends and developments to identify potential risks and opportunities as they apply to the CSBS enterprise
• Work closely with program management office to ensure roadmap is achieved and all established processes are followed in project planning, execution, and close-out
• Develop and maintain working relationships and collaborate with various vendors and other stakeholders
• Analyze and review existing processes and procedures to identify opportunities that lead to gains in efficiency and security
• Other duties, as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual should possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed and meet the amount of education, training and/or work experience required.
• B.S. / B.A. degree in Computer Science or equivalent required
• 8+ years of relevant professional system engineering or administration experience, with significant exposure to a variety of technologies and domains
• Minimum of 5+ years’ experience in at least two IT solution development disciplines, including technical architecture, network management, application development, middleware, database management or operations
• Demonstrated experience as a team lead or technical lead on a project
• Understanding of AWS concepts and experience implementing and maintaining cloud-bases systems and applications in Amazon Web Services (AWS)
• Significant experience writing contract solicitation documents, technical design, system architecture, and other technical documents
• Experience reviewing and understanding strategic and emerging technology trends and applying them to current and evolving business needs and systems architecture
• Experience collaborating with cross functional teams to achieve a shared project goals using waterfall and agile methods and processes
• Systems engineering certification strongly desired
• AWS Professional Certification – Solutions Architect desired
• Must be eligible to obtain or currently possess a U.S. Government clearance at the Public Trust Moderate (NACI) level or higher.
• Due to government regulations, Must be a United States citizen or a Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) with at least three (3) years consecutive residence in the United States as indicated on the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) LPR issued card.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Working knowledge and experience with project and portfolio management tools, preferably CA Clarity, Microsoft Project, and/or Jira
• Exceptional interpersonal, verbal, and writing skills and the ability to communicate effectively with all levels
• Excellent organizational, time-management, and prioritization skills
• Ability to successfully articulate short- and long-term plans and influence decisions
• Ability to apply a broad array of technical solutions to address current problems and/or to meet business requirements
• Knowledge of all components of an enterprise technical architecture
• Knowledge of application development methodologies and infrastructure and network architecture
• Office work environment with remote support
• Occasional travel outside Washington D.C. area (1-3 days per quarter)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Pay: $140,000 to $150,000/year
$140000 to $150000 Per Year
Job Status: Full Time